Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pasta with half and half cream and mushrooms


I LOVE PASTA ! 
Whatever the kind of sauce, whatever the form, I live a wonderful love story with pasta. 

I keep, from my life in Italy, some gustative feelings and surprises that I won’t never forget. 
I remember, of course, coffee. 
A tiny cup with an extract of coffee so strong that the first time I drunk it, I thought I was losing my oesophagus !
But, you get to everything.
When I came back to France, each cup of coffee seemed water for me.
At the same period, I met an American family. 
Then, I discovered the difference between an Italian coffee and an American one and understood how American actors could drink so much… coffee in movies !

I remember pizza and my deception. Yes, I’m sorry to admit…Italian pizza deceived me. Maybe I was too habituated to French pizza. 

I remember the “Panettone” counter of my supermarket, for Christmas ! 
In France, in the east south (close to Italy), you find easily panettone for Xmas, in supermarket, of course (even during the year).
But in Italy, I remember ENTIRE counter, panettone, on each side, from bottom to top. 
I’m totally addicted to panettone. I’m not kidding. 
This is something I avoid to buy, because I’m able to eat one entire panettone during breakfast, for example. 

I bake Tiramisù, the favourite dessert of my son.

Cheeses, diabolic cheeses… ! Pecorino, Parmeggiano, Mascarpone, Gorgonzola…
My Italian teacher told me, one day :
“You know that Zola, the French author wasn’t French. He was Italian. And his real name wasn’t Emile. It was Gorgon … Gorgon ZOLA.”

Ice cream … Rrrrrhhhhhooooaaaa, ice cream !!! Even in France, we call them “Gelati”, to not mix up with classic ice cream. 

And of course, the queen of Italian cook : Les pâtes

I ate TONNES of pasta. So many different sauces and so many way of cooking them !
There’s no limit for pasta, except your imagination.

On the same time, it’s considered as a friendly dish. You must have pasta in your kitchen cupboard. 
If ten friends come unexpectedly, you always can make a quick dish of pasta. 
If you’re tired and don’t want to cook, you always can make a quick dish of pasta.
If you’re tight with money, you always can make a quick dish of pasta.

Pasta are our friends ! 

I cook pasta very often. Even when I’ve got guests. You can make all you want with pasta. 
I’ll post very soon a simple dish with lemon and salmon. 

But today, for the first time since several month, the sky  is grey and it’s colder than before.  
So my body wants pasta, cream and Parisian mushroom. 
I didn't have fresk mushroom, so I used cans. 
But you can use any kind of mushroom you like.

Here what you'll need : 
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 20 cl of half and half (Thanks Dr CaSo ;))
  • 200 grammes of mushroom
  • Olive oil
  • Pasta
  • A washed lemon 
  • And some parsley.



Step 1 : 
Now, you know me : everything begins with olive oil, onion and garlic ! 
On a low fire, in olive oil and salt, make brown the onion. 


Step 2 : 
When they are golden, add the garlic.


Step 3 : 
After 3 - 4 minutes more, add the mushroom and make them brown too.





Step 4 : 
In the meantime, make boil your water, and if you've got, put a vegetables cube.



Step 5 : 
When your mushrooms are brown, pour the cream and grab the lemon.



Let boil 5 minutes, not more. Salt and pepper, of course.

Step 6 : 
Dredge with parsley.



Step 7 :
When your pasta is ready, add to the mixture one cup of pasta's water. The starch will help to thicken the sauce.

Sorry for the poor quality of this pic, but difficult with the steam.


Stir with pasta, and it's ready ! I'm hungry ! 




Récapitulative : 
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 20 cl of half and half (Thanks Dr CaSo ;))
  • 200 grammes of mushroom
  • Olive oil
  • Pasta
  • A washed lemon 
  • And some parsley.

On a low fire, in olive oil and salt, make brown the onion. 

When they are golden, add the garlic.

After 3 - 4 minutes more, add the mushroom and make them brown too.

In the meantime, make boil your water, and if you've got, put a vegetables cube.

When your mushrooms are brown, pour the cream and grab the lemon.

Let boil 5 minutes, not more. Salt and pepper, of course.

Dredge with parsley.

When your pasta is ready, add to the mixture one cup of pasta's water. The starch will help to thicken the sauce.

Stir with pasta, and it's ready ! I

10 comments:

  1. My mother is Italian, so I love Italian food, too :) And I am trying to stay away from cream these days... your recipe is cruel ;)

    One thing I noticed, in the US and Canada, is that people almost never use canned mushrooms. Instead they use fresh ones. But I don't remember finding a lot of fresh mushrooms in the stores in Switzerland when I lived there. It's weird...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I use a lot cream ;)
      Did you go t Italy, when you were in Switzerland ?
      For canned mushrooms, yes, watching american food blogs or shows, I've noticed that it's not used. They're right, it's better when it's fresh. But sometimes, cans are so practical !

      Delete
  2. I love this comment "There’s no limit for pasta, except your imagination". :)

    This is a great blog post. A reminder about how easy and delicious stirring up some pasta can be. I need to keep canned mushrooms around for this very reason. And I always forget about the pasta water. Too frequently I dump it down the drain with using it for the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I forget pasta water too ! In fact, it depends on the sauce. If it's a little bit thick, better add water. BUt if you don't do it, no problem.
      To be honest, when I was in Italy, I never saw a mama doing that...
      Thank you for your comment, Lea Ann ;)

      Delete
  3. What such sumptuous, decadent, delicious dish, and those canned mushrooms Defiantly thrown into the onions! I love it.
    how charming and lovely you write.The little anecdotes on Italy their pasta, coffee and pizza it makes me swoon with envy. It makes me forget you are doubly blessed living in France and with Italy just next door!
    Cheers chère Madame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear sweet, thank you so much for your words. To write in english is a real challenge for me and I just hope my language mistakes are don't impeach the understanding ;)
      I've got a very very good italian friends who went to live in france for some years, when he was 14 until 20. His dream is to come back to live here. And sometimes, I said to him that I keep some nostalgic feelings with my italian life.
      I guess we need dreams and goal to keep us going on ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh but your English is lovely! I appreciate it more now that I know you find it a real challange to write in English, because you transmit charm, a sunny warmth and a joie de vivre to it all.I think of that as very French qualities and they shine through in English. It is a true delight to read it.
    I love your posts, Axelle, and I plan to read them all eventually! Savoring each one for your writing as well as the recipes you kindly share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, you're really kind to tell me all that. And I'm happy to know that you like to read what I write, it gives me more motivation !
      The most difficult is to translate humor. Humor is sometimes different in countries and I never know if I will reach my goal, when I try to make some humor.
      But, now, thanks to what you say, I'll be more confident ;)

      Delete
  5. oh yum! if only my husband would eat mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'll post soon pasta with salmon and cream ... Something to die for !

      Delete