Thursday, September 6, 2012

Eggplant Caviar (Caviar d'aubergines)

Eggplant Caviar ... Yes, I know, it sounds a little bit pretentious to mingle those two words.
But this is how when call them in france.
It's a very popular dish in the south east.

I have to say I had the opportunity to taste a microscopic teaspoon of real caviar, years ago.
My brother in law was marine, in the french navy. His ship went to russia. 
He came back with a tiny box of caviar, for my parents. 

My family is numerous : we're four sisters, two brothers in law, six children and nephews and a lot of uncles and aunts, and grands-parents.
To have the chance to taste this teaspoon needed to be PRESENT when my parents would have opened this gift ...
I had this chance ... (diabolic laugh).

I remember it was salty and strong. But very original.

Well, this recipe won't taste the same as Russian Caviar, for sure ... 
But look the good side of life : It won't cost as much as it either !

This recipe is very easy to prepare. It's just take a long time to cook. 

Here what you'll need, for 4 persons (yes, it's new, I'm adding for how many persons... I'm full of surprises !) : 
  • 3 big eggplants
  • Olive oil
  • 3 little cloves of garlic
  • And for once, I tell it : Salt and pepper ! 

Your oven must be preheated at 180°C (350°F / Th 6).

Step 1 :
Pour 6 tablespoon of olive oil in a little recipient, and press the garlic in it.



Step 2 :
Cut the peduncle of the eggplants.




Step 3 :
Cut eggplants in two, in the large side.



Step 4 :
With the knife point, carve the flesh in criss cross.


Step 5 :
The funny part that your children will like to make !
Take a brush, and spread the olive oil/garlic mixture on them.






Add salt and pepper. Here's what it looks like after this operation.



Step 6 :
In the oven, for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
They must be grilled but tender. 


With a teaspoon, eat the flesh, without the skin.

My son told me :
"Yuuum ... It smells good ! What we're going to eat ? French fries ??", with a big smile !
And I replied :
"Yeeeees !" ... with a big smile.

He's old enough to learn that life is cruel and unfair.



10 comments:

  1. Yummy, I love eggplants like this, on bread :) My family is not as large as yours: we are 3 sisters and 1 brother, and I have 2 nephews and 3 nieces. Then of course we have a few aunts and uncles and cousins but we are also very spread out in many different countries so we never meet all of us together. And we never eat caviar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, with bread .... Rhhhhaaa, ça y est, tu viens de me donner envie ;)
    Whao, your family is large, too ! We have the chance ( ... Well, the chance ... it depends on the days, I'm sure you understand me ;)) to live all close together. For Xmas, for example, we can be 30 persons around the table. That's a very messy but great moment.
    Pour le caviar, entre nous, je ne dois pas avoir le palais assez fin car ça n'a pas été à mon goût. Des oeufs de lump, par contre, j'adore ça ... Nous sommes une famille de gueux !! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour de Montréal!

    J'arrive par ici par le biais du blog de Dr. CaSo. Chez nous ce caviar d'aubergines, on appelle ça le "Caviar du pauvre".
    Bonne continuation avec ton blog! Fabienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fabienne fabulous fabs, oui, je reconnais ton nom ;)
      Effectivement, on appelle ça aussi ainsi. Et j'aurais pu intituler mon post comme ça, je n'y ai pas pensé du tout !
      Merci pour ton petit mot.

      Delete
  4. I love eggplant but I've never tried it like this! Thanks for the new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth ! Thank you for your words ! If one day you try this way, please tell me what you think about it.

      Delete
  5. This looks wonderful. One of my neighbors travels a lot and sometimes brings home caviar and shares it with me! What a treat....

    I'll have to give your eggplant version a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an extraordinary neighbor !
      Mine gives me parsley ... Not the same deal :D !
      Did you like tuna and philadelphia ? If you agree, I would like to know your point of view, because this is not the cheese I use to use. Please, tell me your opinion.
      Thank you ;)

      Delete
  6. This sounds yummy! I am going to pin this on pinterest : ) I would like to try it one day. I don't know if Kaish and Gary will like it, but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest : my husband, my girl and I love them. But my son won't never eat a piece of them !

      Delete