Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pasta with easy tomato sauce

Tonight, we’re still four at home. 
But not the same characters. 

My husband is far away from here because of his work, and my sweet little niece (9 years old) comes to sleep at home.
This little girl is so kind. She’s a gem.



When my husband is not here, it means some different things, for me : 
He’s away just for one night.
Oh, come on ! We’re married for 20 years ! I can live for 2 days without him ! I’m not a desperate housewife…
I’M A REBEL !!... 
… Ok, except if a spider comes in my home. 

I can read with the light, in my bed, without hearing a voice growling in my ear:  
 “… you’re not sleepiiiiiing ?... It’s late, put the light off…”

I’ve got the entire bed FOR ME !!! 
I sleep like a starfish ! My bed is mine. 
Only, totally, absolutely mine. 

Tonight, I will watch The Mentalist at TV, with Simon Baker … He will be mine. 
Only, totally, absolutely mine ! 

And the reason why I love to be single for one night, it’s because it’s just for one night …

But tonight, as my sweet little niece is with us, we’re going to eat something children love but white clothes don’t : pasta with tomato salsa !  
And a lot of parmesan, baby…
And tomorrow, we’ll bake chocolate cake ! 
Rebels, I say to you …

Ok, so here what you'll need, for 4 persons (3 children) : 
  • Pasta, the ones you love
  • Olive oil
  • 2 cans of tomatoes pulp (800 grammes total weight)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar.


Step 1 : 
Cut the onion in slices. I always cooked with onion and garlic. Even if my children don't eat them, they perfume the dish and they're very important in our way of cooking.
But tonight, for my little niece, I'm going to blend the sauce.



Step 2 : 
Add 4 tablespoon of olive oil and let onion become brown. Remember : add salt and low fire. ... It's longer but better ! 




Step 3 : 
When the onions are brown, add the garlic for 2 - 3 minutes more.


This is the Patrick Dupont of garlic presses !



Step 4 : 
Pour the tomatoes. I always add a bit of water.




Step 5 :
Add sugar.



Step 6 : 
And finally, add the herbs. Let boil gently for 20 - 30 minutes.



Step 7 : 
Here how it looks like after 20 minutes. Now, stop the fire and let it cool a little bit, to blend without taking any risk ...
Believe me .... !!!

Step 8:
Of course, make boil the water for cooking pasta. 
I have two habits ... Yes, I'm old ! ... I always use an electric kettle instead of using cold water : it's faster and more ecologic, as they say ... Even if I'm not sure than electricity is better than gas. But it's faster, for sure. That's maybe the reason why.


And secondly, I always add a vegetables bouillon cube in the water. It gives more flavor to the pasta.



Step 9 :
Take away the herbs and very carefully, blend your sauce.
I used a pan with high edge.








Et voilà ! Look the golden color ! It's incredible.






I must leave you. Simon is waiting for me ! ... 


6 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have an enjoyable evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margo ;)
      My evening was cool, but my night was harder than what I was expecting ! My daughter couldn't sleep and went in my bed. SHE made the starfish, I made the sardine in a can ! ;D

      Delete
  2. I've never been able to make homemade sauce for my family because of the kid-complaining about the "chunks". My youngest will pick through her pasta to remove every little onion! SO...last night I made sauce (almost like yours)and got out the hand blender (wedding gift 20 years ago...still works fine)and blended the sauce smooth. The kids LOVED it! So quick, easy and cheap...I'll never go back to the jar. Such a simple solution. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm VERY happy for what you're telling me, Brenda ! Very happy to see that your children love your blended sauce.
      A lot of children are the same. MIne neither don't like chunks. I use to think that we LEARN to eat. There's a time for everything. One day, they'll be old enough to eat the sauce as we will cook it.
      Thank you very much, Brenda, for your comment. Truly.

      Delete
  3. Lovely tomato sauce and what a good idea to blend it! Also, a darling story of your evening! You never know for who gets to make the starfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right ! ;D
      When my daughter came to my bed, I began to make her cuddles, I was happy. After one hour, I thought :" ... Maybe I'm going to CARRY her on her bed !?..."
      She's too tall and heavy for my jelly muscles, I gave up the idea ;)

      Delete