Saturday, August 25, 2012

La Tapenade

In Provence, where I live, we've got a lot of typical dishes.

I made two of them the last week-end, while we had friends for dinner.

Today, I would like to share with you one of those two recipes :  la Tapenade.
This word comes from "tapeno", in Provençal, who means "caper".

Tapenade is a dish consisting of finely chopped black olives, capers, anchovies, and olive oil.

We use to serve it for drink time. But I like to serve it for dinner, when it's too hot to cook.

Generally, I increase fourfold the basics doses. First, because people like it and eat it a lot. Second, because if people don't eat all the dish, you can keep it for one week in the fridge.
Oil is a natural preservative.

It's a very easy recipe.

My husband makes the second dish, that we call "Anchoïade" (anchovy paste). I'll post it tomorrow.

So here what you'll need :

  • 200 grammes of black olives without pits.
  • 5 anchovies fillets well rinsed (let the water fall ! It can be too salted).
  • 8 capers
  • 1 glove of garlic
  • 4 tablespoon of olive oil.

 No need salt or pepper !


I want to comfort people who don't like anchovies : in this recipe, you won't taste them. Neither smell them.

As you can see, in the picture, there are more than 200 grammes of black olives ;)
All the doses are multiplied by 4.

Step 1 :
Rinse very carefully the olives.



Step 2 :
Add the capers (I think you can find them in each supermarket), the anchovies and the garlic that you have cut in small pieces or better : with a garlic press.



Step 3 :
Pour the olive oil. I say "4 tablespoon", but you can pour as much as you want. This is not a light dish. But you'll eat it with crudités. So don't worry ;)



Step 4 : Take your new best friend, the blender and blend all that !




Here is the final mixture.


I agree ... It seems not to be very attractive, but I promise this is divine !

Serve it, with crudités and little piece of bread.



Here's an example of what we eat with.

 My daughter helped me to prepare the crudités ;)

 Cauliflower (crude, of course)

Carrots

Cucumbers 

Mushrooms

Cherry tomatoes.

Tomorrow, l'Anchoïade !











4 comments:

  1. Hello to you and your family! This is such a lovely blog. Thank you for helping show how your family eats. You inspire me!
    Keep cooking and blogging and writing comments on Quiet Life, please!
    Your friend, jep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jep, I'm happy to see you here !
      I'll go back to work tomorrow, I just hope I'll have time to keep on doing all that ;)
      But I WILL TRY, I promise ;)

      Delete
  2. I am afraid of anchovies...but I think I would like them in this.
    I have had tapenade...and I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that a lot of people don't like anchovies. But I swear that we won't taste it in the tapenade's recipe.
      If you already tasted the tapenade, I'm happy to know that you liked it :)

      Delete