Sunday, August 26, 2012

Caramel au beurre salé (salted butter caramel)

Tomorrow, I go back to work ...

To work don't bother me. But to have to obey to a CLOCK makes me crazy ! I love to be totally free time.
Tomorrow, my clock will ring at 6.15 AM, and once again, I will try to not throw it away by the window !

So tonight, I wanted to post the Anchoiade, do you remember ?...
Watching to my camera, to choose the pictures I would post, I had the bad surprise to find it empty ! All my pictures on anchoiade were erased !

So I decide to show you the dessert I made today, for a friends's diner : The salted butter caramel.
In where I live, we've got this expression : "une tuerie", which means "something to kill you ! something to die for !".

This recipe is a little bit more technical than all the others.
The important is to stay close to your saucepan. You can not leave the saucepan. You can not take your eyes off it.

But believe me : if I can do it, you can do it !

Here what you'll need :
  • 160 grammes of white sugar
  • 80 grammes of salted butter
  • 20 cl of crème fraiche LIGHT... Yes, because we're going to eat a caramel, but we use LIGHT CREAM ! ... Don't ask me !



Step 1 :
Your cream must be very hot, to not stop the cooking of the caramel, when you'll add it to. So make it boil into the microwave for one 1 minute and 30 seconds. 



Step 2 :
Cut your butter in small pieces : 



Step 3 :
Put your sugar into a large pan, with high rims. 




Your fire must be just a little bit more than low. Middle, but not to hot.
Light the fire, baby !




And now, you have to remember : Never mix a caramel with utensils ! You just have to shake it.

Here what it's have to be done :



Little by little, your sugar will become golden :



And more golden. Keep on shaking, baby !



Be careful, DON'T LET IT BURN ! This is here that your concentration must be high level !
Because it can burn very quickly and all is rotten.



Step 4 :
When your caramel is more liquid and becomes more than golden but not brown, take it away from fire, and pour the cream in it, while you're whisking with energy.
Be careful too, as you will see in the video, the cream "jumps" ! And it's very hot, of course.

You'll have the chance to admire my messy kitchen ! I was a little bit overburdened ! 


Step 5 :
Add the butter, still whisking.



Step 6 :
You'll have small pieces of dark sugar, in your caramel.
On the lowest fire, keep on whisking more slowly, to make those sugar crystal be melted.



You won't make them all disappear. That's normal.

It's done, put it in a jar, keep it the fridge and eat it the way you like.





As it's still hot here, we ate it with vanilla ice cream. But in winter, I use to make it with apple crumble, for example.













2 comments: