Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My mother's salted citrus fruits salad ! (la salade d'agrumes de ma mère)

My mother is the fastest cook in the World.
Yep.
No one open a can as fast as her !

She's also the most inventive cook I know.
Who could imagine to cook a steak using micro wave ?
Only my mom ! ... Thanks God !

She is the healthy food's precursor.
She realized one day that asiatic people were generally thin and decided it was thanks to their nutrition !
On the same time, she read how much it was important to take a good and huge breakfast in the morning.
That's the reason why, she blended those two elements to make us eat, at 7 o'clock in the morning, just before going to school, vietnamese banh-bao, while we never used to have breakfast, and even less salted or anything else who didn't not look like cookies or jam !

She is a very attentive cook.
When she find a recipe we all loved, she uses to cook it almost everyday ! This way, it took me several months before I accepted to watch Disney's cartoon "Ratatouille", thanks to the 256 765 432 ratatouilles my mother cooked and obligated us to eat, for one short and endless (on the same time) year.

And most of all, she can recreate traditional and long recipes with frozen products in a few minutes !
And they are good !

Let me introduce you my Mother's salted citrus fruits salad !! The fastest salad in the world, which can be called the Speedy Gonzales Salad !!

Herrrrrrrrre what you'll need, friends :

  • 1 cucumber 
  • 700 grams of frozen oranges and pink grapefruits
  • 2 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon f olive oil 
  • Salt and pepper.
Of course, if you don't have frozen fruits, I suppose you can use fresh too ! But don't forget my mother's mantra :"I'm not born to be a cleaning lady or a cook !".



Step 1 : 
Let your fruits defrost in a large bowl. Their water will help for the juice. Then cut your cucumber in small pieces. Or large. As you want ! Who cares ? Don't worry, I'm not going to judge you badly if you don't cut your cucumber in the right form ! 


Step 2 :
Pour honey, oil and vinegar. To be more practical, use oil before honey. This way, honey won't stick in your spoon. Yeah baby ! So much ideas in such a small brain !




Step 3 :
Salt and pepper and leave to rest for one 30 minutes or more. It will give a kind of juicy soup, so refreshing and tasty.
Believe me, in this heat period, it's soooo good !! :D
Ten times better than a steak in a micro-wave ! Sorry Mum !



Recap :
  • 1 cucumber 
  • 700 grams of frozen oranges and pink grapefruits
  • 2 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon f olive oil 
  • Salt and pepper.
Let your fruits defrost in a large bowl. Then cut your cucumber in small pieces. 

Pour honey, oil and vinegar. 

Salt and pepper and leave to rest for one 30 minutes or more. 


6 comments:

  1. Dear Axelle-Your mother sounds like my mother only my mother went on to say that her dream house would not have a kitchen in it. We had many a breakfast of left-over spaghetti and tomato sauce (which sauce contained everything but the kitchen sink because it was a good way to use up left-overs). But she taught us other things: finishing what we start, cheerful obedience, working hard, being gracious about the odd things in life that happen, using what we have to make life happen, how to use our brains so we could eventually teach ourselves to cook! This salad looks wonderful and I will definately be making it this week. Regards-Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jamie, thank you for sharing your own childhood and experience with me ! :) I feel better !! :D
      My mother didn't teach all that, but she taught her other important things, you're right. Cooking is not the only part of a woman, fortunately.
      And to be honest, mine cooks other fabulous dishes too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Axelle,
    I like your mother! Haha! Fuss-free and practical!
    Ratatouilles? I'm feeling guilty each time this is mentioned! I have promised my kids to make this for years....ooopsss...!!!!
    The salad looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joyce ! You already told it when I posted the ratatouille's recipe !! SO YOU STILL DID NOT COOK THEM !!! :D
      I promise, I'll put some subliminal message in each of my following post for you ! :D

      Delete
  3. Ah Axelle, You have the kind of mother I had...someone who wants to be anywhere except the kitchen. Smile! The salad looks great and easy, just right for our hot summer days. Who wants to clean up in the kitchen when it is so warm anyway? love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jep !! I'm glad to read you again, I was beginning to worry about you ! :)
      You're totally right, no one wants to clean up when it's too hot. ANd I have to say, no one wants to cook either ! I'm trying to cook for posting new recipe but I'm melted before arriving to the kitchen !! :D

      Delete