Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tuna cake (cake au thon)

I wanted to share with you this recipe but it was impossible for me to not speak about what happened in Oklahoma. 

I can't even imagine, we're in 2013 and we can't expect such a catastroph... 
I think about the ones who have lost a child or a parent. A true drama.

When I was a student, I had an American teacher. He used to teach us about American History and American Geography.


We loved him a lot.

First because he was  forty years old and handsome…

Yes, forgive us, we were weak young women… 

We were 20 years old and no way to miss one of his lessons !

Parents, you want to know how to motivate your teen students ?... Make sure they have a beautiful teacher !

But most of all, he was clever and treated us as adults and not big teenager.
Mr John Engle, if you read this post one day, you made a lot for me :)

He teached us the different climates of this country, during some lessons.
When he talked about hurricanes and tornadoes, I still remember his sentence :
“Do you understand how violent American weather can be ? … So, when I hear a south French man crying about two days of rain, it makes me sigh !”.


We're so small things against Nature.


Here's a recipe I've tried recently. This is easy and fast, but I have to say this cake is good, but not exceptional. 

Maybe I shouldn't be so honest ;) !
I mean, this is a good idea for a daily lunch. 

You'll need : 
  • 3 eggs
  • 400 grammes of canned tuna
  • 200 grammes of flour
  • 1 lemon
  • 10 cl of milk
  • 10 cl of neutral oil
  • 10 grammes of baking powder
  • An handful of gruyère or swiss cheese (this is not obligatory)
  • 1 large tablespoon of mint (fresh if you have, mine was frozen)

Your oven must be preheated at 180°C (350°F / th 6).


Step 1 : 
Stir together flour, baking powder and eggs.


Step 2 : 
When it becomes a mess, add milk, and oil.




Step 3 :
Pour cheese and grated lemon.



Step 4 :
Mix together and add dripped tuna cut in pieces.


Step 5 :
End with mint and pour the mixture in a cake pan.



Then, in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes. 



Bon appétit !



Recapitulative : 

  • 3 eggs
  • 400 grammes of canned tuna
  • 200 grammes of flour
  • 1 lemon
  • 10 cl of milk
  • 10 cl of neutral oil
  • 10 grammes of baking powder
  • An handful of gruyère or swiss cheese (this is not obligatory)
  • 1 large tablespoon of mint (fresh if you have, mine was frozen)
Your oven must be preheated at 180°C (350°F / th 6).

Stir together flour, baking powder and eggs.

When it becomes a mess, add milk, and oil.

Pour cheese and grated lemon.

Mix together and add dripped tuna cut in pieces.

End with mint and pour the mixture in a cake pan.

Then, in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes. 



5 comments:

  1. Dear Axelle-Thank you for this pause of reflection. It would be so devastating.
    Mr. John Engle sounds like a nice man. 40, Handsome, and Nice. What a winning combination. I am sure you all passed the class with all the attention you gave it.
    I am definitely making this bread. It's the sort of lunch meals I need. Inexpensive yet satisfying. I would probably make this for breakfast, also, by putting something in place of the tuna. Chocolate chips? And shredded cream cheese in place of swiss? I've never tried to shred cream cheese but maybe it would kind of work.
    It was good to hear from you again. Lots going on over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jamie, we saw the TV news and all the terrific images. I'm thinking about all those people who have lost so much.
      For this cake, yes, why not trying cream cheese ? Maybe it could have an impact on the timing cook, because the cake could be wetter. But you can try of course and tell me what will be the result, please. :)
      Thank you for your comment, Jamie. Friendly !

      Delete
  2. Dear Axelle, Thank you for your concern for all those affected by the tornadoes we have experienced in the U.S. lately. On our morning walks we have been praying for the people dealing with the aftermath of the storms. We walk for exercise for our bodies and pray for exercise for our souls/spirits. :-) This is a great recipe for a quick lunch. I am going to give it to the rest of our family to try, too. Thank you again for the recipe and for your loving heart.
    love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jep, I think we can't be not touched by what happened there. This is so violent. I feel the parent's distress, for example. This is terrific.
      Thank you, dear Jep, for your comment. I'm going to try to me more present :)
      Friendly.

      Delete
    2. ...Going to try to BE more present !! :D

      Delete