Saturday, October 6, 2012

Mini candied fruit's cakes (mini cakes aux fruits confits)

Because it's Fall !
Because Nature begins to have gorgeous colors !
Because my neighbor's tree begins to have beautiful yellow leafs !


Because today is blue !
Because today is pink !
Because today is green !
Because today is yellow !
... On my face's son ...


It's time to celebrate colors, friends !

Seriously ... What beautiful colors, don't you think ?
I'm sure you can understand the gnome doesn't feel really at ease at all, to be like this.
Most of all, because everybody looks at him, while he's shy and discreet.
Yesterday, during lunch time, while he was eating with his friends, girls on the next table, were looking at him very insistent way.
After a while, irritated, the Gnome changed place with one of his friends.
So, one of the girl, came to him and tell him :
"You know ... I'm not looking at you to make fun with you. I'm looking at you because I hurt for you. It upset me, for you."

This little girl was honest, sensitive and courageous.

The gnome told me :
"You see ... It's not to be looked by everybody who disturb me. It's the way they look at me. If people comes and asks me what happens, I would answer to them without problem. But being looked as an animal is very disturbing."

I understand that. So much.

So today, in honor of all the colors who can exist in this world, I'm going to bake multicolor mini cakes !
I've already done this recipe, but for a large cake. Today, I'm going to do it with individual ones.
No fear !
The base is always the same : a yogurt cake.

Yogurt cake is very used by mothers, here. It's easy, not too long and you can offer it in a variety of form and taste.

You'll need :
  • 1 yogurt pot of 125 grammes (nature or vanilla, for example)
  • 2 measure (yogurt pot) of brown sugar
  • 1 measure of neutral oil
  • 3 measures of flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder (that's the difference between the large cake and the little ones)
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon of rum !
  • 125 grammes of candied fruits
  • (optional) 25 grammes of white raisins. 
Preheat your oven at 260°C (500°F / Th 9).


Step 1 :
Stir together yogurt, eggs and sugar.




Step 2 : 
Add the 3 measure yogurt of flour and the 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder ON IT.



Mix again !

Step 3 : 
Pour the rum and the vanilla.



Step 4 : 
One measure of neutral oil !


Step 5 :
Pour some flour on candied fruits and raisins, and stir gently to coat all that. It will prevent fruits to fall down in the bottom of the cake, during the cooking.




Step 6 :
Pour them into the mixture and stir gently, once again. 


Step 7 : 
With 2 tablespoon, fill up small paper pans. 




Step 8 :
Reduce the oven at 180°C (350°F / Th 6) and let those babies cook for 20 minutes.
That's it !




Bon appétit ;)



Récapitulative :
  • 1 yogurt pot of 125 grammes (nature or vanilla, for example)
  • 2 measure (yogurt pot) of brown sugar
  • 1 measure of neutral oil
  • 3 measures of flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon of rum !
  • 125 grammes of candied fruits
  • (optional) 25 grammes of white raisins. 
Preheat your oven at 260°C (500°F / Th 9).


Stir together yogurt, eggs and sugar.

Add the 3 measure yogurt of flour and the 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder ON IT.
Mix again !

Pour the rum and the vanilla.

Add one measure of neutral oil !

Pour some flour on candied fruits and raisins, and stir gently to coat all that. 

Pour them into the mixture and stir gently, once again. 

With 2 tablespoon, fill up small paper pans. 

Reduce the oven at 180°C (350°F / Th 6) and let those babies cook for 20 minutes.


9 comments:

  1. Poor gnome, I feel bad for him, too. People can be ignorant and cruel...

    OK I have one big favor to ask you: please don't use measurements like "one pot on yogurt" because I never know how big yogurts are in France and I can never make these recipes and I really want to try to make your beautiful fruit cakes :)

    (PS. English lesson of the day, it's fruit cakes, like apple pies, sans S parce que "fruit" devant "cake" devient un adjectif et les adjectifs ne s'accordent pas en anglais, et le cake n'appartient pas aux fruits :) et même si c'était le cas, on ne met jamais deux S comme ça: s's, on met simplement l'appostrophe à la fin du mot, comme dans the books' titles.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr and thanks for the english lesson ;) I'll try to remember.

      For the yogurt cake, normally, that's exactly the good point of those cakes : no matter the size of your pot. Measures are the same. You'll just have more or less mixture than mine.
      But, for you, I tell you that french pot are 125 grammes big.
      Try those cakes and tell me, please ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks :) I understand that the measurements for sugar, oil, and flour are the same, but if you have a huge pot of yogurt (like mine, which is 500g), the 3 eggs won't be enough, that's why I never know.

    The problem with the s' or 's is complicated for native speakers of English, too. The problem with adjectives is almost impossible for French speakers to do correctly, because in French we do the exact opposite thing! In English, you say "a three-year-old boy" not "three-yearS-old" because "three-year-old" has become an adjective modifying "boy," and it's still very weird for me, even after all these years speaking English :)

    I'll try the cake, but not this weekend, I already have 4 recipes that I need to try, including your brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 500 grammes for a yogurt ??!! Ok, you won, I don't know how many eggs you would need ;D
      So you know that, for yogurt cake, french yogurt are 125 grammes.

      That's funny because I'm going to try YOUR brownie, tomorrow ;)

      Delete
    2. It's just a big container of yogurt and I take a few spoons out of it every morning, that way I don't have as much trash and I can take as much as I want for breakfast or to make cakes :) I will remember the 125 g, thanks!

      Let me know how the brownies go!! Hope you like them! (I'm making short ribs right now... smells so good!!!)

      Delete
  3. ahem...allow me to insert...
    Your yogurt cakes are DELICIOUS! I set my daughter to making one the first time you posted the recipe. She was stumped by the measurements as well, just like Dr. CaSo. But, I explained to her that your recipe was based on a 'yogurt cup' measurement and therefore was a RATIO.
    Easy!
    Your recipes are delicious! Your roast chicken stuffed with green olives is heavenly. We have made it many times.
    I enjoy your blog--I found it via Donna Booshay. What a wonderful photographer.
    Poor Gnome. But what a sweet and compassionate girl.
    Keep cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, thank you so much for all your words.
      I'm very very happy to know that you (and your daughter) tried some recipes and you liked them, you can't even imagine ;)
      It's true that if I want to talk to "not french" people, I have to adapt myself to other way of measuring ingredients.
      I didn't know there were huge yogurt pot, because in france there are, it's true, but when we talk about YOGURT, they all have the same grammes.
      I made the same mistake with littles vanilla sugar bag. I'm learning ;)
      But I'm really happy to know that you liked some of my recipes. Truly ;)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well. birthday cake delivery birmingham

    ReplyDelete